Monday 15 January 2007

Training for a Half Marathon

I registered for my first Half-Marathon on Friday, January 12. It is the Colorado Colfax Marathon on May 20. I am very excited about this. My daughter also registered with me.

Let me say that I am 55 years old. I smoked 2 packs a day for 25 years, but stopped 15 years ago. I had a cervical diskectomy and fusion of C3-C5 in 1999 and never thought I would run again. Sometimes when I am running I just smile from ear to ear because of the joy of it!

I ran in my youth (even though I smoked), but never real seriously. I always wanted to run a marathon, but never considered it even remotely possible. I started running again in 2003. In 2004, I trained for and completed my first sprint distance triathlon. I enjoyed it so much, I did another the next year, and another the year after that - and my 27 year old twin daughters joined me on that one!

In August of 2006, I purchased the Nike+ iPod stuff, and it has opened my eyes to the world of running. With the Nike + I have kept going and going when I would have quit before. On New Year's Day I ran 10 miles, and that is when I knew it was possible for me to train for a half-marathon. I am slow, but I am also old!

I have no idea how to do this. This morning after my 10K run, I went to the bookstore to buy a book on training for a marathon, but they didn't have any. I will order one online.

What an exciting journey! I hope there are other bloggers out there who can share in this journey with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG ..You kick ass MC!
I am so beside you all the way..keep sharing your journey here with us.I love it :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment over on my blog, Mary, and good luck with your training. One good book is by Richard Nerurkar, Marathon Training: from Runner to Elite. I borrowed a copy from the public library, but then my son gave me a copy for Christmas.
We're luckier than you: no snow (yet)

Anonymous said...

That is awesome. I too was quite a runner at the beginning of this year. I did my first half and was training for a full when I herniated a disc in my neck and am now looking down the barrel for a fusion (trying for an artificial disc, but the insurance company may not cover).

Good on ya!