Saturday 14 April 2007

5 weeks til the race

This is a cell phone photo from this morning's run. It was a beautiful morning so I decided to take a different route. I got too far from home and ended up running 10.5 miles when I was aiming for an 8 mile run. But it bumped up my weekly mileage to an all-time high of 25.06 miles.

Here is a question: The Bolder Boulder 10K race is one week and one day after my half-marathon. Does anyone think it is reasonable to run a 10K race just a little over a week after doing my first half-marathon? I would dearly love to do this race because it was the first race I ever ran - 20 years ago. It makes me want to cry just to write that. At that time, I was 35 years old, a heavy smoker, and not much of a jock. But I had youth on my side and was able to finish the race. Now I am 55 years old, I haven't had a cigarette in 16 years (or a drink in 22 and a half years) and have been running consistently for four years... slow as I am. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

4 comments:

Debbi said...

Do you have to register ahead of time, or can you just show up and jump in? I've no experience whatsoever, but I know that every weekend I'm more than ready, physically and mentally, to do another long run. I hope someone who knows about such things speaks up, because I'd like to know, too.

And kudos to you for hitting your highest weekly number!

ws said...

Hi Mary - thanks for your comment and for stopping by. I have a 1/2 marathon coming up on May 27th - I gave up biking while training for a full marathon, but I'm hoping to bike up until this half.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 201 - got it from Amazon back in December for just over $100. It is the older unit so it is bigger than the new one, but it is fairly accurate. After the marathon it displayed 26.43 miles and after my recent 10 mile race it displayed 10.17 miles. I'm not fast enough to mind the 1% variance.

RE: your question - I think you should be able to run in the 10K the following weekend. I can't recall the run I did the weekend after my half in December, but I ran 6.5 miles the weekend after running a full marathon and survived.

J~Mom said...

I think you should be fine to run the 10k. Personally though I was wiped after my first half and didn't do anything but one 2 mile run. But you have been running a lot longer then I have.

Adam said...

Good job on the high number. I think you would be OK for the 10K